By engaging in mediation, you and the other party are making a genuine effort to reduce the cost, time and stress involved in resolving a dispute and achieve a better outcome.
Mediators follows a tried and tested process to structure the conversation between the parties where each is allowed to have their say and to respond.
Many first-time participants in mediation are surprised that by having the mediator structure the conversation, they were able to uncover solutions they could agree to.
Benefits of mediation
There are five key advantages to mediation:
- Time: Using a mediator is usually much faster than going to a tribunal or court.
- Cost: Mediation can minimise legal costs as the parties represent themselves.
- Flexibility: You share responsibility about how the dispute is resolved.
- Confidentiality: Your discussions during mediation are confidential.
- Communication: Mediation can help improve on-going communication.
Download the Mediation fact sheet.